2. Debearding tough mussels can damage the flesh. Wait until they are cooked to remove the beards for easily and neatly.
3. Have you ever washed a steak under running water? No. Then why are you cleaning fish under running water. Just scrape with the back of a knife.
4. Does chopping onions make you cry? By pouring a small amount of white vinegar on the (wooden) board it will stop the fumes. Alternatively light a candle which will neutralise the teary chemicals.
5.Troubled by soft bottomed pies? Bake them on a pizza stone to crisp them up.
6. Make your sauces much more intense by finishing them with a fortified wine.
7. Starchy potato water is worth saving to use as the liquid element in chocolate cake. It also can be used for breadmaking. Or in sauces.