One of our most popular items in the mini-bar – and at functions – are our macaroni cheese croquettes. We use gruyere and parmesan cheese in the bechamel because both cheese are packed with glutamate. Combine this with the process of deepfrying and that it’s finger food and this is always a winner, especially for when entertaining.
250 gm macaroni
25 gm butter
25 gm flour
500 ml milk
125 gm gruyere cheese
125 gm parmesan
salt and pepper to season
1. Cook the macaroni in well salted boiling water. Refresh in iced water to prevent over cooking.
2. To make the bechamel first melt the butter in a pan. Stir in the flour and wait for it to bubble up into a foam. Then gradually stir in the warm milk (that you can season with a bayleaf and some pepper corns)
3. Combine the macaroni and sauce.
4. Pipe into long thick lines.
5. Leave in the fridge to cool.
6. Cut into 5cm logs.
7. Coat in breadcrumbs.
8. Deep fry until golden brown.
You could also attempt to create your own combination of flavours. The list of produce is endless, alter the cheeses, peas, add your favourite ham or salami, we are sure you will please any crowd!!!
Our recipe was featured in the MasterChef Magazine, in the November 2012 Edition.
This is the link to see where we got a mention- See the forth paragraph.